Virginia Tech® home

Femoyer Hall

280 Stanger St.
Femoyer Hall
Femoyer Hall

Femoyer Hall was built as a residence hall on the upper quad in 1949 at a cost of $401,888, and named for 2/Lt. Robert E. Femoyer, class of 1944, who received, posthumously, the Medal of Honor in World War II. It was later repurposed to house student support functions. With no major renovations since original construction and a mounting deferred maintenance backlog, the university determined the building would be replaced rather than renovated. It was demolished in October 2021 to be replaced by a new 5-story residence hall that will be occupied by the Corps of Cadets.

Robert E. Femoyer

Second Lieutenant Robert Edward Femoyer, for whom Femoyer Hall is named, was a member of the Class of 1944. In World War II, Femoyer saw action over Germany in a "Flying Fortress." Although mortally wounded, he directed the navigation of his anti-aircraft-riddled plane back to safety in England, saving the lives of his crew. He died an hour after his plane landed. Femoyer's selfless actions were recognized with this nation's Medal of Honor.

Building History

Femoyer Hall was built as a residence hall on the Upper Quad in 1949.

Originally Built:
Map Grid:
Abbreviation / Number:
FEM / 013
37.23133, -80.42124