Virginia Tech® home

Burchard Hall

1327 Perry St.
Burchard Hall
Burchard Hall

Burchard Hall provides studio space for the architecture and industrial design programs of the School of Architecture + Design, faculty office space, and workshops for ceramics, plaster, graphics, and computer/digital media.

The building was constructed underground -- with four pyramidal skylights illuminating studio spaces below -- to preserve Cowgill Plaza, a popular meeting place and campus thoroughfare.

A stairway leads from a kiosk in the plaza to the subterranean offices and studio space.


Charles Henry Burchard

Burchard Hall is named for Charles Burchard, founding dean of the College of Architecture and Urban Studies from 1964 to 1979. The university recognized him with the designation University Professor and the University Distinguished Achievement Award. He was a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects, recipient of the national Award for Excellence in Architectural Education and the Virginia Cultural Laureate Award, president of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, and director of the National Architectural Accrediting Board.

Building History

Burchard Hall was completed in 1998. It was designed to address an acute shortage of space for the architecture and industrial design programs in the School of Architecture + Design.

Originally Built:
Map Grid:
Abbreviation / Number:
BURCH / 171
37.22958, -80.42441