The original Carol M. Newman Library was completed and opened in 1955 with $1 million donated by the Old Dominion Foundation, headed by Paul Mellon, and another $1 million approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Renovation and a six-story addition were completed in 1981. The lobby was renovated in 2009 to accommodate a coffee shop.
Carol M. Newman Library560 Drillfield Drive
Established in 1872 with 500 volumes, the library now includes holdings of more than 2 million volumes physically located in Newman Library and three branches:
- Art + Architecture, 100 Cowgill Hall
- Veterinary Medicine, in the Phase III Building of the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine on Duck Pond Drive
- Northern Virginia Resource Service Center, 7054 Haycock Road, Falls Church, Va.
The library's mission is to "provide and promote access to information resources for the achievement of the university’s objectives in learning, discovery, and engagement."
Newman and the branch libraries offer a number of study spaces for individuals and groups. The branch libraries tend to be quiet spaces, while Newman has floors designated for groups to work together. Public computers are available in Newman and all of the branches.
Carol Montgomery Newman
The main library is named for Carol Montgomery Newman, professor, dean of the Academic Department, and head of the English department between 1903 and 1941. Known as the godfather of extracurricular activities, Newman was secretary of the Athletic Council, chaired the college social committee and the YMCA advisory board, and served on the library committee. A popular English and rhetoric teacher, writer, and eloquent speaker, he considered books an invaluable element in living.
- Originally Built:
- Map Grid:
- Abbreviation / Number:
- LIBR / 177
- 37.22876, -80.41924