Tech Transfer Boot Camp
VT Research Community: Are you curious about propelling your research from your lab into the world?
The Virginia Tech LICENSE: Center for Tech Commercialization will be hosting a workshop series designed to assist faculty, research staff, and students in understanding the basics of technology transfer. Topics to be covered include the invention disclosure process, inventorship vs. authorship, patenting 101, technology marketing, and licensing. We will also provide tips on working with the LICENSE team to protect and commercialize your inventions and dispel common myths that can hamper those efforts.
What is it?
- A series of one-hour workshops designed to introduce important aspects of the technology transfer process.
- An opportunity to better understand the challenges and opportunities of intellectual property commercialization.
- An opportunity to earn Virginia Tech professional development network (PDN) credits.
- An opportunity to earn a LICENSE Tech Transfer Boot Camp digital badge.
When and Where?
- Five (5) weekly workshops from 12:00-1:00 PM, Thursday, September 21, 2023 to Wednesday, October 19, 2023
- Location: All sessions are virtual.
A fun, painless and interesting set of courses to learn the A,B,C's of developing your technology and discovering whether it could fly in the marketplace. I really enjoyed the courses!
- Dr. Mark Williams, Professor, School of Plant and Environmental Sciences
|Thursday, September 21||Workshop Session 1: Introductions and overview|
|Thursday, September 28||Workshop Session 2: What is my idea or discovery, and how do I tell the University about it?
|Thursday, October 5||Workshop Session 3: Assess and Protect: What is the value of my idea, and how will it be protected?|
|Thursday, October 12||Workshop Session 4: Plan and Market: How will I capture value from my idea, and how do we tell the world about it?|
|Thursday, October 19||Workshop Session 5: How does my idea become licensed and to whom?|
The LICENSE Tech Transfer Boot Camp is a resource to the Virginia Tech research community and is supported by the Office of Research and Innovation. To be eligible to participate, you must be current Virginia Tech faculty, staff, postdoc, or graduate student.
How to Enroll
Interested participants must enroll by 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday, September 20, 2023. For more information, see our frequently asked questions below.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Enrollment Deadline: 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday, September 20, 2023
- Tech Transfer Boot Camp: Thursdays from September 21, 2023 - October 19, 2023
Interested parties are required to enroll by the stated deadline. Spots are limited.
Attending Tech Transfer Boot Camp is free.
No experience is necessary. The Tech Transfer Boot Camp is only available to the Virginia Tech community (faculty and graduate students).
All Workshop Sessions are virtual
Please contact Emily Lanier, firstname.lastname@example.org with Boot Camp questions.
While attendance is not mandatory, you will need to attend all the sessions to complete the training and receive your digital badge or the total number of professional development credits.