College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
CALS receives a record
$80 million grant
It is the largest grant received in the university’s history. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will distribute at least $54 million to producers to enact climate-friendly practices and serve as a pilot program for a national model.
Center for Advanced Innovation in Agriculture
In the farm of the future, drones will fly over forests and crops to communicate with robots embedded in harvesting equipment on the ground. Virginia Tech is leading the charge to help local communities thrive and spark a new agricultural and natural resources economy.
Our shared future
Every day, in every corner of the world, the college, Extension, and 4-H are helping communities thrive and grow the next generations of leaders. With your support, there is no limit to the impact we can make in our world.
Join us making a difference in our shared future.
We have the Commonwealth covered!
With 107 local Extension offices, eleven Agricultural Research and Extension Centers, and six 4-H educational centers, we are always within reach. Use the map to locate the office or center in your community.
250 Drillfield Drive (0402)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Dean's office: (540) 231-3724
Academic dean: (540) 231-6503
- In memoriam: Jerry 'Dan' Swafford, Virginia Cooperative Extension Swafford, project associate and curriculum specialist for Virginia Cooperative Extension, passed away at his Christiansburg home on Jan. 4.
- Highly contagious avian influenza confirmed in Virginia commercial poultry industry The disease could be economically devastating to Virginia poultry industry and could also cause backyard owners to lose their entire flock, says Michael Persia, a Virginia Tech expert.
- Technology and agriculture collide at the inaugural Ag-Tech Field Day The exhibition featured dozens of technology industry representatives who showcased the latest tools that are supporting the commonwealth’s largest private industry — agriculture.
- Aerial sensor technology on display at Eastern Virginia Agricultural Research and Extension Center Virginia Tech researchers are testing the use of drones across the state to help stakeholders determine nitrogen rate and timing of wheat, an important crop of the commonwealth.
CALS Events Calendar
- The Reproductive Biology Club Seminar Series The Mercadante Lab - Hannah Craun, MS student & Trinity Vidlund, MS student Jan 27, 2023 1:00 PM - 11:59 PM 101 Life Sciences 1 Conference Room
- The Reproductive Biology Club Seminar Series Speaker: McLean Feb 03, 2023 1:00 PM - 11:59 PM 101 Life Sciences 1 Conference Room
- The Reproductive Biology Club Seminar Series Speaker: McCoski Feb 10, 2023 1:00 PM - 11:59 PM 101 Life Sciences 1 Conference Room
- The Reproductive Biology Club Seminar Series Speaker: Mathew Feb 17, 2023 1:00 PM - 11:59 PM 101 Life Sciences 1 Conference Room
- Hokie Dairy Day A youth educational event for ages 9-19. Details and registration information coming soon. Sponsored by the Dairy Club at Virginia Tech. Feb 18, 2023 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
- Hokie Dairy Day A youth educational event for ages 9-19 to learn about Current Dairy Research, Herd Health, Agriculture Industry Careers, Food Safety, Herd Management, Farm Safety, and Dairy Judging. Lunch Provided. Sponsored by the Dairy Club at Virginia Tech. Feb 18, 2023 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Etgen Large Animal Learning Center, Blacksburg