Kayaks are lined up on the banks of the New River, near the Virginia Tech campus.
- The NRV is home to one of the oldest rivers in the world — the New River. It’s also one of the few rivers in the world that flow south to north.
- Mountain Lake, located in Giles County, was the on-site location for the 1987 box-office hit “Dirty Dancing.”
- Outside magazine named Blacksburg one of the top 10 places to live in the country, praising the surrounding area's natural resources for hiking, biking, whitewater rafting, and climbing.
- There are only two naturally occurring lakes in the state of Virginia, and one of them is in the NRV.
- Montgomery County was the first in the United States to have every school directly connected to the Internet. In Montgomery County today, every classroom in every school has direct, high-speed Internet access.
- Daniel Boone -- yes, the Daniel Boone -- has a pending arrest warrant in Montgomery County for not paying his bills.
- The NRV contains one of the few remaining drive-in movie theaters in the country -- and it’s still in business!
- The first duel with rifles in the state took place in the Christiansburg town square and influenced the outlawing of dueling in Virginia.
- The NRV hosts the largest research park in the commonwealth of Virginia.
- Virginia Tech has a Seismological Observatory that monitors earthquake activity around the world.
*In case you want to define the New River Valley, it includes the counties of Floyd, Giles, Montgomery, and Pulaski and the City of Radford.