John W. Whittemore
Whittemore Hall was named in 1968 for John Weed Whittemore, who worked at Virginia Tech from 1926 to 1962 as head of ceramic engineering, associate dean and then dean of the School of Engineering and Architecture, and director of the Engineering Extension Station. The first registered ceramic engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Whittemore established the ceramic engineering department at the university and used his expertise to spur business development and to help with the Colonial Williamsburg restoration.
The first three floors of Whittemore Hall were completed in 1971, and three additional stories were completed in 1985.
Address: 1185 Perry St. | Map Grid: K-3
Originally Built: 1971 | Abbreviation: WHIT
Latitude: 37.23107 | Longitude: -80.42445