Charles Erastus Vawter Sr.
Vawter Hall is named for Charles Erastus Vawter Sr., a member of the board of visitors (1886-1900) and rector of the board for nine years. Vawter was an authority on industrial education and a successful superintendent of a school for orphans, leading the governor to request his help in reorganizing Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Virginia Tech). A member of the State Board of Education, he helped organize Virginia's public schools under the Constitution of 1902.
Vawter Hall was first occupied in fall 1962. The building was dedicated on May 16, 1966.
Address: 180 Kent St. | Map Grid: N-5
Originally Built: 1962 | Abbreviation: VAW
Latitude: 37.22684 | Longitude: -80.41765