Smyth Hall is an academic building on the Ag Quad. It houses offices and classrooms for several departments, including the Department of Crop and Soil Environmental Science. Three bird gargoyles adorn the building.
Smyth Hall was named in 1949 for Ellison Adger Smyth Jr., professor and founding head of the Department of Biology (1891-1925) and the first dean of the faculty (1902-06). An avid writer and photographer, Smyth was a self-professed "practical ornithologist" who let students study his large collection of bird skins and insects. He helped resurrect the student-produced Gray Jacket and was called the godfather of the first Bugle yearbook ever published.
Once known as Natural Science Building, the building was erected in 1939. The second section was completed in fall 1950.
Address: 185 Ag Quad Lane | Map Grid: L-6
Originally Built: 1950 | Abbreviation: SMYTH
Latitude: 37.22498 | Longitude: -80.42315