Seitz Hall is an academic building on the Ag Quad. It is home to the Department of Biological Systems Engineering. The department, one of the oldest such departments in the country, was established under the original name, Agricultural Engineering, in 1920 to provide support for the food and fiber industry.
Seitz Hall is named for Charles Edward Seitz, who worked here from 1914 to 1953 as an Extension drainage engineer; Extension agricultural engineer; and head of agricultural engineering, which he founded. A pioneer in rural electrification, he helped introduce electric power into American farming; led the drive for a campus agricultural engineering building; and helped found the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, which recognized him for exceptional engineering achievement in agriculture.
Construction on the building began 1937 and was completed 1940. It was once known as Agricultural Engineering Building.
Address: 155 Ag Quad Lane | Map Grid: L-7
Originally Built: 1940 | Abbreviation: SEITZ
Latitude: 37.22448 | Longitude: -80.42361