Randolph Hall was constructed in two sections. The west section was completed in 1952, and the east section was added in 1959.
Randolph Hall is an academic building that is used largely by the College of Engineering.
The building is home to many research spaces. A 6-foot-tall stability wind tunnel, acquired from National Aeronautics and Space Administration in 1958, is attached to the building. Valued at $1 million at the time, the tunnel was acquired for about $1,700 as surplus equipment.
Lingan Strother Randolph
The name Randolph Hall remembers the contributions of Lingan Strother Randolph, professor of mechanical engineering, head of the mechanical engineering department, and dean of engineering from 1893 to 1918. An entertaining speaker and inspirational professor, Randolph helped design and construct a campus water system and helped plan and design many college buildings. He was instrumental in building a railroad spur to Blacksburg, Va., presided over the Brush Mountain Coal Co., and was the charter president of the Montgomery Golf Club.
Map Grid: L-3
Building Number: 133
Originally Built: 1959