The Rev. Alfred Cook Payne
Payne Hall is named for Alfred Cook "Al" Payne, associate secretary of the YMCA from 1946 to 1949. He left Blacksburg but returned in 1958 to spend 23 years as YMCA secretary, assistant to Virginia Tech's dean of students, and counselor of religious affairs. A decorated World War II officer, Payne was a beloved spiritual advisor whose thought-provoking prayers were a staple at university events. He played an integral role in the integration of area schools.
Construction started on Payne Hall in 1992, and it opened in 1993.
Address: 600 Washington St. SW | Map Grid: M-6
Originally Built: 1993 | Abbreviation: PAYNE
Latitude: 37.22582 | Longitude: -80.42