Established in 1872 with 500 volumes, the library now includes holdings of more than 2 million volumes physically located in Newman Library and three branches:
The library's mission is to "provide and promote access to information resources for the achievement of the university’s objectives in learning, discovery, and engagement."
Newman and the branch libraries offer a number of study spaces for individuals and groups. The branch libraries tend to be quiet spaces, while Newman has floors designated for groups to work together. Public computers are available in Newman and all of the branches.
Five floors; 226,630 square feet. Find a public access defibrillator between the elevators on the first floor.
The main library is named for Carol Montgomery Newman, professor, dean of the Academic Department, and head of the English department between 1903 and 1941. Known as the godfather of extracurricular activities, Newman was secretary of the Athletic Council, chaired the college social committee and the YMCA advisory board, and served on the library committee. A popular English and rhetoric teacher, writer, and eloquent speaker, he considered books an invaluable element in living.
The original Carol M. Newman Library was completed and opened in 1955 with $1 million donated by the Old Dominion Foundation, headed by Paul Mellon, and another $1 million approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Renovation and a six-story addition were completed in 1981. The lobby was renovated in 2009 to accommodate a coffee shop.
Address: 560 Drillfield Drive | Map Grid: N-4
Originally Built: 1955 | Abbreviation: LIBR
Latitude: 37.22876 | Longitude: -80.41924