Newman Hall is home to 274 co-ed residents. It houses The World theme housing program, a cross-cultural living environment for international and domestic students.
Three floors; 55,017 square feet.
Newman Hall was named in 1964 for alumnus Walter Stephenson Newman, who worked at Virginia Tech from 1922 to 1962 as associate professor of vocational education, vice president, and president (1947-62). A founder of the Future Farmers of Virginia, Newman was a pioneering vocational agriculture teacher and Virginia's supervisor of agricultural education. As president, he laid the groundwork for the college's development into a major university. He was the first recipient of Virginia Tech's prestigious Ruffner Medal.
Construction was completed in May 1964. Newman housed 292 men from 1964 until spring 1970. It was converted to house 284 women in fall 1970.
Address: 200 Kent St. | Map Grid: N-6
Originally Built: 1964 | Abbreviation: NEW
Latitude: 37.22612 | Longitude: -80.41787