Lee Hall is a residence hall for 811 co-ed students. It has two theme housing programs, Galileo and the Biological and Life Sciences Learning Community. The building contains eight floors plus a penthouse and is the tallest point in Blacksburg, Va.
Lee Hall's inVenTs Living-learning community brings together students from all academic levels in a multidisciplinary environment that enables them to explore their ability to innovate and create the future. The four Academic Major Learning Communities housed within the inVenTs Living-learning community are the following:
- Galileo is located on the sixth and seventh floors. It focuses on issues that engineers face in the growing competitive marketplace. First-year college students can apply to live in the community and are encouraged remain in the community beyond their first year. The program is a full academic year commitment.
- Founded as the Biological and Life Sciences Community, Da Vinci is an interactive-learning environment designed to help students succeed in first-year science courses, including general chemistry and principles of biology. Students majoring in animal and poultry science, biochemistry, biology, dairy science, food science, human nutrition, foods and exercise, and who are members of the College of Natural Resources and Environment are eligible to apply for admission to this community.
- The Hypatia Women in Engineering Learning Community brings together female engineering students to provide encouragement and support. First-year college students can apply to live in the community and are encouraged remain in the community beyond their first year. The program is a full academic year commitment.
- The Curie Learning Community is an interactive-learning environment designed to promote academic success and engagement with the scientific process and community. Students majoring in the physical and quantitative sciences in the College of Science are eligible to be residents.
Lee Hall was named for Claudius Lee, an 1896 alumnus whose affiliation with the Blacksburg college began in 1893 and ended in 1936. Hired to set up a physics laboratory, Lee took his pay in education. He became a professor of electrical engineering, superintendent of the Light Plant, and acting head of electrical engineering. He developed the college clock system, named The Bugle, and was an American Institute of Electrical Engineers Fellow and a Professional Engineer.
Construction on Lee Hall was started in 1965 and completed in fall 1966.
During the 125th anniversary of Virginia Tech, students in a history class came across a page in the 1896 Bugle listing Lee as a leader in the campus chapter of the KKK. After a thorough investigation in 1997, it was determined that there was the potential that the organization was a hoax and that the hall name would not be changed. It was recognized that Lee's potential participation was reprehensible.The issue resurfaced in October 2004. The Commission on Equal Opportunity and Diversity was asked to look into the situation and develop a set of recommendations. This set of recommendations was approved in February 2005 and subsequently adopted by the University. The recommendations called for broader education on the subject of Claudius Lee and also for strengthening diversity efforts across the university.
Address: 570 Washington St. SW | Map Grid: N-7
Originally Built: 1966 | Abbreviation: LEE
Latitude: 37.22454 | Longitude: -80.41846