Holden Hall is an academic building that houses offices, classrooms, and laboratories of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering and the Department of Mining and Mineral Engineering.
- Find this building on Foursquare
Roy Jay Holden
Holden Hall is named for Roy Jay Holden, a professor of geology and geology department head from 1905 to 1945. The noted geologist sited Virginia's first gas well, located water wells when a shortage threatened Virginia Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech), and assessed the safety of the Claytor Lake Dam site. But he forged his true legacy in the classroom, where he stimulated a lifelong scientific interest in his students.
The building was completed in 1940. It was originally known as Mineral Industries Building until it was renamed in 1949.
Address: 445 Old Turner St. | Map Grid: L-3
Originally Built: 1940 | Abbreviation: HOLD
Latitude: 37.23036 | Longitude: -80.42238