Julian Cheatham Hall is home to the College of Natural Resources and Environment and provides classrooms and laboratories for studies in the physiology, nutrition, and genetics of trees, fish, and wildlife.
It is also home to the Virginia Water Resources Research Center and the Self-Assembled Wood Macromolecule Interface Lab.
Four floors; 65,247 square feet.
Cheatham Hall is named for Julian North Cheatham, executive vice president and a director of Georgia-Pacific Corp. After graduating from Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech) in 1933, he began working for the Georgia Hardwood Lumber Co., started by his brother. The company grew into the giant corporation Georgia-Pacific. In 1983 Virginia Tech presented Cheatham with its prestigious William H. Ruffner Medal in recognition of his many accomplishments.
The first phase of Cheatham Hall was built in 1972, to provide new classroom, laboratory, and office space for the Department of Forestry and Wildlife Resources, then a division of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Constructed at a cost of $1.67 million, the building offered classrooms and offices, all of which boasted paneled walls of different species donated by forest industry companies. The building was dedicated May 5, 1972.
The second phase was completed in 2003. The three-story addition was attached to the south end of the building and added an entranceway with a lobby and gathering area.
Address: 310 West Campus Drive | Map Grid: L-7
Originally Built: 1971 | Abbreviation: JCH
Latitude: 37.22386 | Longitude: -80.42265