The 229,297-square-foot facility houses a 10,052-seat basketball arena, locker rooms, two auxiliary gymnasiums, offices, and other athletic facilities.
One notable design element: The roof is supported by laminated wood arches.
Although capacity crowds are a frequent occurrence in Cassell Coliseum, the largest crowd ever recorded was an overflow of 11,500 for Purdue on Dec. 3, 1966.
Stuart K. Cassell
The coliseum honors the memory of 1932 alumnus Stuart Kent Cassell, an agricultural Extension instructor (1933-41), chief business officer (1945-66), and vice president for administration (1966-76). Highly esteemed and visionary, Cassell steered the physical growth of Virginia Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech) into a major university. He helped run VPI when one president became ill and was instrumental in organizing the VPI Educational Foundation.
Construction for the main portion of Cassell Coliseum began in 1961. It was completed in December 1964 at a cost of $2.7 million. Cassell was first used on Jan. 3, 1962 -- before its completion -- for a basketball game with Alabama, which Virginia Tech won 91-67. In addition to athletic games, the coliseum has been used for commencement exercises, presidential inaugurations, concerts, speeches, and tournaments.
Originally known as Student Activities and Physical Education Building, it was renamed Cassell Coliseum on Nov. 5, 1976. Additions were completed in 1984 and 1998.
Address: 675 Washington St. SW | Map Grid: N-8
Originally Built: 1961 | Abbreviation: COL
Latitude: 37.22245 | Longitude: -80.41893