Brodie Hall, which houses members of the Corps of Cadets and is the corps' headquarters, will soon close. University planners envision replacing Brodie and Rasche halls with state-of-the-art residence halls to house more than 1,000 cadets.
Read about the redesign of the Upper Quad.
Colonel William M. Brodie
Brodie Hall honors the memory of Col. William Mayo Brodie, professor of mathematics and former first assistant commandant of cadets, who worked at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech) from 1901 to 1932. An alumnus from the class of 1901 with a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and a master of engineering, as well as a master of science in mathematics, he worked as the college librarian and a mathematics instructor before working his way through the ranks to become head of the mathematics department. For 32 years he was a beloved and respected member of the faculty.
Brodie Hall is composed of an old section (Barracks No. 3) completed in 1900 and a newer section completed in 1957 on the site of the Second Academic Building (an early building that no longer exists).
Address: 310 Alumni Mall | Map Grid: M-3
Originally Built: 1957 | Abbreviation: BRO
Latitude: 37.23013 | Longitude: -80.41993