Agnew Hall is an academic building on the Ag Quad used by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. The building received a $1.6 million facelift, approved by the Board of Visitors in March 2007, to provide new laboratory space on the first floor for the Department of Biological Systems Engineering. The renovations were completed in January 2009.
The second floor is designated for graduate student use in the land and water resources engineering program, which deals with issues related to the Chesapeake Bay and other watershed management problems. Office space for the Virginia Tech Pesticide Programs is on the third floor.
Agnew Hall is named in 1949 for Ella Graham Agnew, the first woman to receive a field appointment from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and an Extension agent at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech) from 1914 to 1919. Her work in Virginia was a precursor to today's 4-H and Extension Homemaker clubs. In 1944, she became the first woman to receive Virginia Tech's Certificate of Merit.
Completed in 1940 at a cost of $42,525, Agnew Hall housed the main offices of home economics until 1968, when other academic departments moved into the small structure.
Initially, it was known as the Home Economics Building. In 1949, the university renamed the building to honor its most famous woman, Ella Graham Agnew. It was the first building on campus to be named for a woman.
Address: 460 West Campus Drive | Map Grid: K-7
Originally Built: 1940 | Abbreviation: AGNEW
Latitude: 37.22476 | Longitude: -80.42415