Solitude is the oldest structure still standing on campus. The frame house was restored in 2011 to its mid-to-late 19th century appearance. It is now home to a multi-use Appalachian Center.
5,133 square feet; two floors.
Believed to date back more than 200 years and the oldest structure on campus, Solitude is an example of Greek Revival architecture. The house was expanded in 1851 by Col. Robert Preston, who received the estate from his father, Virginia Governor James P. Preston. About 250 acres, the house, and several farm buildings on the estate were purchased by the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Virginia Tech) Board of Visitors in 1872 for $21,250. Over the years, Solitude has housed a plethora of functions. In the 1990s, it was closed until funds could be raised for major renovations. Solitude is on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 705 West Campus Drive | Map Grid: J-6
Originally Built: 1840 | Abbreviation: SOL
Latitude: 37.22622 | Longitude: -80.42689